Case Study – Modernising & Securing the Law Firm
Our client’s business was constrained by its legacy IT environment. Inefficiencies were frustrating their employees and placing strain on the in-house IT team. As one of Scotland’s leading law firms, they could not afford for their IT to slow their business operations or compromise their data security.
As their managed service provider, the firm trusted our guidance and technical expertise to take their systems into a modern, secure, and supportable state. Quorum delivered a new Windows 10/Office 2019 desktop for the client, helping eradicate critical security issues, bringing everything up to date, making it far easier to manage and smoothing the way for the firm’s ambitions to move more of their IT estate to the cloud.
Solving Key Business Challenges:
The existing, aging legacy system presented several key business challenges:
- The virtualisation software that underpinned the Client’s service required upgrading.
- Their operating system and any applications used in conjunction was nearing end of support and would leave them open to security vulnerabilities.
- The on-site IT Team had to install applications manually on a machine-by-machine basis. This was hugely time consuming for both the IT Team and end users.
- The current desktop build had many software restrictions which made it clunky and restricted their applications.
- Expensive software licensing.
*No email address or sign up required.
A new Desktop infrastructure was therefore required for 100 end users which had to provide seamless and secure access to the customer’s applications and systems for both on and offsite employees. We were required to package 30 applications and supply both desktop and remote access options and multi-factor authentication for increased security.
Quorum delivered a full Windows 10 Desktop Upgrade Project, over a 3-month timeframe. This ensured that the client was fully engaged as part of the whole delivery lifecycle and the project managed successfully from start to finish concluding in a smooth transition into managed service and day to day operations.
Our strong relationship with both the executive and in-house IT teams at the firm, through provision of our IT Director and Managed Services, meant we were able to work collaboratively with them both at a strategic and operational level. We developed an effective, practical solution that was appropriate for the immediate needs of the business and their IT strategy for the future.
The project was delivered in 3 main phases:
Microsoft Systems Centre Configuration Manager (SCCM) & Desktop Build
- Installation of Microsoft SCCM.
- Design and build of new desktop and laptop images.
- SCCM App Packaging of all applications.
- Upgrade of speech productivity technology.
RDS Environment Build
- Design and installation of remote access solution including Multi-Factor Authentication.
- From pilot to testing & remediation to complete replacement of desktop build.
- Faster system access and operating system.
- Improved system management.
- Access to the latest application software.
- Improved system security.
- Annual software licencing cost savings.