Realising your remote working potential with Windows Virtual Desktop
Remote working is nothing new, and neither is the use of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) to facilitate it. What is new, however, is the unprecedentedly wholesale transition to homeworking brought on by the outbreak of a global pandemic. As lockdown measures were applied globally, businesses everywhere were forced to find ways to enable their team members to continue to function effectively outside of the office workplace. A recent Gartner CFO survey revealed that 74% intend to shift some employees to remote working permanently.
Thankfully, the technology is most certainly there to allow such a rapid change of tack. In particular – Windows Virtual Desktop (or WVD) – was released by Microsoft in September of last year and provides a seamless and stress-free way to maintain productivity at normal levels even when the situation is anything but. While many business owners may have scrambled to equip their employees with the tools necessary to do their jobs from home, not all of them have prioritised a future-proofed solution ahead of a quick fix. WVD offers exactly that.
The value of virtualisation
The use of Windows Virtual Desktop tripled in the first quarter of 2020 as organisations deployed virtual desktops and apps on Azure to enable secure remote work.
Housed in Azure, WVD offers a comprehensive desktop experience for all your staff members, even when they can’t be in the office itself. Offering multi-session capabilities for Windows 10, complete with Office 365 Pro Plus, WVD is a comprehensive solution that can even be layered with other virtual infrastructure like Citrix to deliver the next best experience to a real-life workplace – and in some respects, an even better one. Here are some of the advantages you can expect to enjoy when you deploy WVD in your business:
- End user satisfaction. Perhaps the most crucial factor in a successful remote working situation is how comfortable and equipped the end user feels in the transplanted environment. With the ability to access all programmes and platforms across any device, your employees will enjoy all of the same advantages through their virtual desktop as they did from their physical one.
- Scalability. The ability to upscale your server use and bandwidth consumption as and when you require it is not only instrumental in allowing your business to reach its potential, but can save you significant sums into the bargain. That’s because you only pay for the resources you actually consume – unlike a physical office, where overheads remain constant even when not in use.
- Legacy app management. The functionality that legacy apps provide means you can’t live without them, but their archaic and incompatible nature often means they don’t lend themselves well to adaptation. That’s why is so important – and WVD’s ability to manage specialised workloads can offer a solution.
- User administration. With the ability to remotely add or remove users at the touch of a button, you can respond quickly to developing events and ensure only those who require access to your systems enjoy it. What’s more, you can also support both persistent and non-persistent environments and accommodate both domain and non-domain users easily and efficiently.
- Cyber security. As one of the largest tech companies on the planet, Microsoft know a thing or two about preventing online attacks and frustrating cyber scammers. Entrusting your digital defences into their hands is a far safer bet than trying to manage it yourself, given that their layers of security surrounding your virtual assets is much stronger than any on-premises ones you might employ.
- Compliance. If you work in a regulated industry and must adhere to strict regulations regarding the handling of customer data or other sensitive information, then outsourcing such concerns to a capable third party is an ideal solution that’s guaranteed to save you time, money and stress. WVD offers just that kind of peace of mind when it comes to a subject as thorny as compliance.
- Compatability. While WVD can operate as a stand-alone solution for your virtual desktop needs, it also works seamlessly with other software such as Citrix. This means that you can leverage the enhanced features offered by existing investments and add to them the extra firepower that Microsoft provides with WVD.
While companies in every industry were already beginning to see the advantages of migrating to the cloud well before COVID-19, what was once viewed as a forward-thinking luxury has very swiftly become an urgent priority. That has led to a widespread uptake of cloud-based technologies and a mad dash to equip team members with what they need to continue their jobs from the safety and comfort of their own homes. Although the initial transition has already been successfully navigated by many companies, it could now be a good time to take stock of your current setup and understand the aforementioned benefits that incorporating WVD into your infrastructure could hold for your business.
Quorum in your corner
That lengthy list of advantages is surely of benefit to anyone grappling with the inconveniences and challenges foisted upon them by the current crisis. But while most businesses would surely welcome them into the fold, many cannot see a way to take the leap into WVD and embrace the revolutionary benefits it brings in the current climate. Whether it’s a question of budget, manpower or simple logistics, envisioning a virtual desktop as a permanent fixture of your working strategy can seem like an arduous task to magic up into reality.
If that sounds familiar, fear not. Quorum are a team of highly experienced and approachable IT experts who are intimately familiar with the inner workings of WVD, Citrix and a host of other options. Working closely alongside you, we can help to draw up a plan of action that’s tailored towards your company’s unique circumstances and objectives, allowing you to put in place a future-proofed infrastructure and form habits that’ll stand you in good stead going forwards. To find out more, give us a call on +44 131 652 3954, drop us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out our online contact form and we’ll be happy to discuss your options. Get in touch today!
AWARDS & RECOGNITION